Velocity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Velocity

The semi-official forum for Velocity. Now you can't say I've never done anything for you.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how to kill a troll.

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1how to kill a troll. Empty how to kill a troll. Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:52 pm

jwolfe

if you would like to give noobs ways to deal with trolls and how to spot them leave your tips here.

2how to kill a troll. Empty Re: how to kill a troll. Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:39 pm

DocAutopsy

DocAutopsy
Admin

Dealing with trolls isn't easy. I'd say one of the first tips I can give is that trolls are usually nothing more than 10-13 year old kids who are bored and have nothing better to do with their time than spam/flame/rabble rouse. These kids can be dealt with pretty easily most of the time, actually.

I've been told before that I'm a really lenient mod, but I'll try to get trolls to stop by talking to them plainly. Asking them to stop can sometimes work, but it usually takes more tact than that. Ask them questions about games they like or some silly internet meme. That can have some great effect sometime. It's a matter of situation.

Spammers make my eyes cry black tears of death because you can't usually talk to them.

If they stop, rather than getting mad at them, ask them if they troll other rooms. The more seasoned troll will be glad to share his or her past experiences trolling other rooms/people.

Trolls are people too, as hard as that may be to say. Sometimes they just need a little bit of respect, but don't be afraid to mute them on Kong. They just want to get a rise out of you. Don't give them what they want, and they'll usually leave after a while.

how to kill a troll. Bow

Hope that helps!

http://www.colethomas.bandcamp.com

3how to kill a troll. Empty Re: how to kill a troll. Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:22 pm

trem

trem

The way to deal with a troll depends on the aim of the troll. Like the good doctor said, most are young dumb and bored, but some are more malicious. For the smarter ones, ignoring them tends to work. They want people to bite into their bullshit, if you don't give them the satisfaction they bore and move on... or switch to more actionable activities (spamming, whatnot). If they do the latter, report them and call a mod. Be aware that even if you don't bit on their topic, they will try to trigger you by twisting your words. Start a real conversation with others in the room, mute the troll, eventually they'll bail. Most important thing when dealing with any troll, don't let them get you angry. It's EXACTLY what they want. If they get to you, they win.

4how to kill a troll. Empty Re: how to kill a troll. Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 am

DocAutopsy

DocAutopsy
Admin

trem wrote: They want people to bite into their bullshit,

Delicious!

trem does have a point though. And I left out that bit about reporting. If you're being constantly harassed by someone, don't forget that you can fight back. Just do it in the right way. Go to their full profile and explain in as much detail what happened when you report them. Usually the troll will get a serious warning in their whispers and one on their shouts for all to see.

http://www.colethomas.bandcamp.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]