Velocity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Velocity

The semi-official forum for Velocity. Now you can't say I've never done anything for you.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trem's Take: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

trem

trem

While I do not create anything of my own, I am a rather ravenous consumer of film. I watch much, enjoy little, and am always willing to share my opinion of a film. Now that Vel has a forum, I can bore you all with my take on movies whether you want to hear it or not! Also, I'm always right.

I just finished watching The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, directed by the brilliant Terry Gilliam and starring the recently departed Heath Ledger. It was a brilliant, trippy, morality questioning journey through two hours of digital madness.

A little devil dealing, a little man, and a little lady who definitely did not pass for the 16 she was supposed to be, just a few of the wonders this good Doctor offers up.

I'll not summarize or spoil, but I *will* recommend. Watch this film wasted and be bewildered, watch it sober and ponder the depth of what is unsaid. I give it 8/10 't's.

If you like hearing my ramblings on this, let me know. I'll keep it up. If you don't, bugger off! I'll prolly keep it up anyway, and you suck.

DocAutopsy

DocAutopsy
Admin

trem wrote:
Watch this film wasted and be bewildered, watch it sober and ponder the depth of what is unsaid.

Ah, the benefits of having a DVD player stuck on infinite loop and a limited supply of whiskey and schnapps...

Actually, I love most Heath Ledger movies, so I'm kinda surprised I haven't watched this one. I'll see if I can rent it sometime; I need to watch more movies. It's such a faux pas to not be in on a reference too...

http://www.colethomas.bandcamp.com

Gerpie

Gerpie

I may or may not actually watch this film, simply because most of what I do for entertainment is consumed in a very serendipitous way. That being said, I enjoyed your review because it was cleverly lain. So keep it up. If nothing else, when you're not on Kongregate, I can come here to partake of your essence whenever I feel.

4Trem's Take: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus Empty Avatar Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:56 am

Spleen

Spleen

On a slightly different subject, I recently saw the movie Avatar 3D with a younger cousin. Probably going to catch some flak for this, but I must say: I'm not a big fan. Same old tired storyline: the evil, greedy, white, imperialistic men with machine guns are attacking the poor gentle native amer-erm, I mean Na'vi. No really, c'mon! They even dress like native americans and use bows and arrows! The only hope I had for the movie was that it could focus on the main character...what's his face...anyway, the handicapped guy's moral dilema, but instead he clearly choose the Na'vi, making the storyline much more boring, ending in a modern Lord of the Rings style battle that clearly could only have one outcome. The only good part of the movie was the stunning special effects that were used, although I don't think that special effects alone and some polarized glasses are enough to launch a new era of film making.

dustfinger314

dustfinger314

Yeah, spleen that's what pretty much everyone thinks. The plot was taken from Disney's Pocahontas, but the special effects were amazing. Trem's Take: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus Avatar-pocahontas-500x486

trem

trem

My favorite part of Avatar is when they sing "Colors of the Wind".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum